Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cameron, Two Month (3/14/2014)

Two Month (3/14/2014)

Dear Cameron,

You are 1/6th of the way through your first year.  Admittedly, you still don’t do very much, but it is exciting to watch you grow and change.  I think having a better preview of the developmental steps before us allows me to better savor your current self, not wishing so hard for the next steps.  For now I am enjoying the baby snuggles and calm before the storm, so to speak.

Weight - 13 lbs, 5 oz
Length - 24.5"


Daily Activities and Playing

Your “routine” is very predictable and continues as before (wake, eat, play, sleep).  Wake time tends to be limited to 30-45 minutes after you finish eating, so you don’t have much time to do very much during each play session.  Your neck and back strength is improving and you enjoy limited tummy time on a blanket or in your crib.  Tummy time is considerably more enjoyable for you when you are on someone’s chest.  Since your first smile at 5 weeks, you use tummy time to also practice smiling, making eye contact, and “talking” to either me or Daddy.


Sibling

Ian and Ellen still love you, of course.  Ian has even told me that he misses you while he is at school during the week.  They are both very proud and want to bring pictures of you to school so that they can show their friends.  Both are getting more helpful.  I am so grateful to have Ian sitting in the back seat right next to you.  He helps adjust your blanket or sun shade, gives you toys, talks to you, and makes sure you have your pacifier when you need it.  There are two new stuffed animals that have been specifically determined to be yours and Ellen is constantly making sure that you have them.


Eating

You are consistently nursing 5 times per day, every 4 hours, skipping one late night feeding each day.  You tend to get very fussy if you have a bubble in your tummy but calm down significantly once you burp.  You are also spitting up somewhat at each feeding.  Overall nursing is going very well!  We don’t give you very many bottles but try to feed you one occasionally so that you get used to it.


Sleeping

Your night time sleep has slowly stretched from 4-5 hours at 4 weeks to 6.5-7 hours at 6 weeks.  You are currently going to sleep between 7 and 8 pm each night and then waking around 3 AM. I have had mixed success with a “dream feed” in which I wake you up to eat around 11 PM in an attempt to change your wake up time from 3 am to 6 or 7 am.  I will likely continue the dream feed for some time and see if I can get consistent success.  You have started sleeping in your crib at night since you don’t wake up as often before.  We don’t use a baby monitor because with both of our doors open we can hear you just fine at night.  Naps are still in a variety of places – your crib, the pack and play set up in the living room, the bouncer, the swing, or the car seat/stroller when we are out and about!  You usually nap around 2 to 2.5 hours at a time.  You are increasingly better at getting to sleep on your own when I put you down while still awake.  I still spend some time rocking/holding you, but not as much as before.  I swaddle you for both naps and night time sleep, and it seems to help cue you to sleep.



Special Events

We were using some little cloth diapers on loan and finally got our own stash!  Our diaper drawer includes a combination of pre-folds with covers (Rumparooz), Blueberry Simplex (all in one), and BumGenius Freestyle (all in one).  Everything is one size so we can use them on both you and big sister (for now).  I am loving them so far and experience far fewer “blowouts” and leaks than we did with disposables on the first two children.


Cameron @ 8 weeks

Cameron @ 8 weeks

Cameron @ 8 weeks

Cameron @ 8 weeks
Cameron @ 9 weeks

Cameron @ 9 weeks

Cameron @ 9 weeks


No comments:

Post a Comment