Friday, March 1, 2013

Three Things

It's just the kind of day that makes parenting so heart filling.

1.  Ellen woke up early and I sent Ian in to talk to her while I finished getting ready.  Things stayed very quiet for about 10 minutes so I went to investigate... and this is what I found.

{Sweet siblings reading together in the crib}

Ian climbed into the crib, bringing a book to share with his sister.  Their laps shared the load of the book and Ian started "reading" to Ellen.  Reading right now consists of either reciting the memorized words or just telling the story of what he sees in the pictures.  Ellen sat quietly absorbing everything he was saying and studied the illustrations alongside him.  I was so grateful that I could capture this sibling moment from the hallway, not disturbing their precious interaction.

2.  Later, while I was getting breakfast ready for Ellen, Ian disappeared.  All of a sudden he ran into the kitchen.  Fully Clothed!  With a backpack!  Without prompting, he had gone to his room and changed out of pajamas and into the clothes we laid out the night before (including socks and shoes).  Then he packed his backpack with pajamas, a night time pull up, and slippers "in case it is bed time after we go to dinner."  Can I repeat... ALL WITHOUT PROMPTING.  He is REALLY growing up!


{This photo was taken during potty training almost a year ago, but I couldn't resist as it just shouts BIG BOY}

3.  We were in the car talking about where we were going to eat tonight, this is how the conversation went:

Ian:  Is our family going to be there?
Me:  Yes, Mimi and Grandpa will be there with you, me, Daddy, and Ellen.
Ian.  Ok.  Are we going to eat outside?
Me:  No, it is too cold.
Ian.  Ok.  Yesterday we ate outside with our family.
Me:  Yesterday, a long time ago?
Ian:  Yes, a long time ago.  It was at Gloria's!  And Jessie was there.  And I was sitting next to Daddy, and he gave me his fruit.  And Beckett was sitting with Jessie.  And then we played in the fountain!  I was playing on the little steps, and then Gram came and told me she didn't want me to... she told me no.  But Beckett still played on the steps.  And then the water went HIGH in the air.  It had a long curve and there were lights!

The events, as told by Ian, were 100% accurate and in the correct sequence.  That family dinner happened in August of last year (7 months ago).  Holy Cow, child!

{sorry, no pic from that evening}

No comments:

Post a Comment