Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Goals - 2013

It wouldn't be a new year without a post on GOALS for 2013.  You can read about my (lengthy, ambitious, mostly failed) goals from 2012 here.

We're a few weeks into the new year and things already feel a bit derailed... so far we have had one unconfirmed case of the flu, one preschool case of the flu, and one toddler ear infection.  Luckily, the man of the house has remained unaffected and since he is the major "GET THINGS DONE" driver, activities haven't come to a complete standstill around here.  So far we've mostly been organizing drawers and closets, throwing things out, rearranging furniture, and in general accomplishing some of those "dude, get on that already" projects.

Overall, I have decided to simplify a little bit this year; I need to feel some success!

Blog:
I am was going to attempt Project 52 (i.e. posting a photograph each week), but since I am already on week 3 with nothing to show for it, I might not make that this year.  Instead, I am just going to focus on blogging more often and more consistently.  Last year I had very specific goals and even scheduled out some posts for myself, but this year I am going to take a simpler approach and just post as often as I want, on whatever topics I want.  Something I struggled with all of last year was wanting to make a post "perfect" before posting it.  "Perfect" came to mean that the post fell into a specific category, was medium length, and had a related photograph (taken by me, of course). I am not going to try so hard to make each post a major undertaking.  If I've got pictures, I'll post them with the text, but it's not always bad to keep it simple!  The whole purpose of the blog is to document our lives, and if my quest for (my own very narrow view of) perfection is standing in the way of recording memorable events, well that's ludicrous.

Food and Cooking:
We are generally good at making meal plans and only buying groceries that we need, but I want to continue to cook healthy foods and look for a few new things to try (Pinterest is helping, especially since some of the people I follow consistently pin wonderful recipes).  Additionally, I am going to try Whole30 (for the whole 30 days) in the early spring.  I made a brief attempt at Whole30 way back in August and it was quite successful, especially considering I only did it for about 2 weeks.  However, the improvements I saw in August slowly disappeared as I succumbed to holiday indulgences starting at Halloween.  It's been a lazy couple of months.

Exercise:
We are having trouble working exercise into our schedule since we aren't even able to eat dinner together more than 50% of the work week so I am solo with the kids quite a bit.  However, I am going to commit to running at least once per week, whether early in the morning or during lunch at work.  The best bet will probably be on the weekends, if we can coordinate it.  I also aim to use my work-gym membership that I faithfully contribute to like a 401K.

Photography:
My primary goal in my photography this year is ORGANIZATION.  I have a vast backlog of partially completed work (from 2008 to 2012) that I have been hesitant to tackle, but I vow to complete photo albums for those years as soon as possible!  If I can get a habit established, I am confident that I will feel less overwhelmed.  I also received Adobe Lightroom for Christmas and am going to work on learning how to use it and figure out the most streamlined work flow for myself.  One snafu - the computer on which I was planning to install Lightroom turns out to not have the appropriate requirements, so it is still uninstalled.  Perhaps a new laptop in my future?  Yikes, this hobby is getting expensive.

House:
I've got a HUGE list of things I want to do in our house.  Some items are simple (move couch to other room) and others are much much bigger (re-do all of kitchen).  Some fall in between (create wall gallery for living room, choose photos for said wall gallery in living room), but all are *mostly* achievable.  I think I am going to write a few posts about what we are up to in the home improvement arena.  We are attempting to DIY quite a bit, but with my husband working 50-60 hour weeks almost constantly (plus grad school) it is slow going.

Children:
Well this blog is called "Mostly the Kids" and so far on my goals I have talked mostly about myself!  Sappy goal as related to my children: show them as much love as possible as often as possible and to have oodles of fun with them.  Practical goal: for me to be very intentional with my time and my words and to become more consistent/effective in disciplining.  I promise those two seemingly disparate goals actually go hand in hand (how fun is it to be around out of control kids or parents?).  This year, I plan to write a few posts on things that have worked for us... from potty training to how we deal with food.  It will at the very least serve as a record for what happened during these crazy years, and if anyone who happens to read it finds themselves in similar circumstances, maybe it can provide some insight.

Here Goes, 2013.

Good luck to everyone who set New Year's Resolutions!  What is your most ambitious goal for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment