The Night Shift seemed to be an overwhelming presence in our lives in February. I functioned primarily on survival mode and focused on keeping everyone fed, clean, and clothed. That seemed to take up most of my time and energy, so I did very little else in the way of goal accomplishment. If I did anything, it was during my lunch hour at work, as I couldn't bring myself to work on much once I got the kids in bed each night.
Personal Goals
1) Photography:
I am staying very current on my photo sorting and editing! I haven't gone back to catch up on my backlog yet, but I am still confident that I will see great progress in 2012. My next goals are to get some "deliverables" taken care of... I have seen quite a few ideas for decorating with portraits, and I also have a mini project I told my mother-in-law I could do for her. Time to start getting things ready for printing!
2) Sewing:
Sadly, I made no progress on sewing in February. I blame The Night Shift. Maybe I will complete project #1 in March? {Note: That didn't happen. In March either. Or April. Maybe May???} I did end up purchasing some material for a new project I have in mind (a computer bag), but I haven't done anything with it so far.
3) Physical Fitness:
I have run exactly twice and done yoga a grand total of ZERO times in February. February fitness was sadly better than January (in which I ran once), though obviously not where I want to be. Brandon and I are going to work on a rotating early morning routine so we can both run more frequently during the week. Saturday runs generally prove to be more difficult as one of us (ahem, Brandon) has to run with the double jogging stroller.
4) Blogging:
I am still doing fairly well on this front. I have more or less stuck to my calendar of post ideas, and I am working on building up a few "extra" posts in my drafts folder so I can make sure I post something every week, even if I don't have time to compose something new.
5) Reading:
I have still been reading quite a bit. Reading is one of the only activities I can manage to accomplish in the evenings as it requires very little physical effort. Sad, but true. I am not going to list out all of the books I have been reading because there is not much worth recommending. Maybe I will eventually get ahold of something worthwhile that I can share with everyone, but for now let's just say my "free book" trend continues.
Team Dierschke Goals
1) House Cleaning:
Again, I blame The Night Shift for the failure of this goal. Things have stayed generally straightened up (especially thanks to Brandon getting some child free time at home), but we haven't been diligent about dusting etc. The bathrooms and kitchen are the only areas that we clean consistently. We are having some people over to the house in March, and that should light a fire under our rear ends to get things both clutter free/organized and spic and span.
2) Monthly Date Night:
Two months in a row with a date night! Hurrah! We didn't do anything exciting, just went to a movie, but we take what we can get. Once again, we wanted to see Sherlock Holmes 2, but we couldn't find a showing compatable with our schedule, so we opted for "Safe House" (with Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington) instead. It was a very entertaining movie, and I enjoyed all of it except for the hand to hand combat/stabbing scenes. I don't mind violence but punching and stabbing always makes me cover my eyes. We are hoping to start branching out with our date nights in the coming months, trying something more active than movie watching.
3) Monthly Time with Others:
Once again, we exceeded our goal. Which is actually remarkable for such non-social creatures as ourselves.
- BIL Birthday Dessert: This event was supposed to happen in January but was postponed due to travel schedules and changing reservation times. The group dessert was s'mores at Tillman's Roadhouse... with homemade marshmallows that you roast at the table! It was quite fun and delicious. The only downside was that we didn't really know anyone except my sister and her husband. We have met and spent limited time with many of their friends, but we haven't been around them enough to know them very well.
- Super Bowl watching Party: After being out of town for the weekend in Rowena, we rolled into town just in time for a Super Bowl party with other "Young Adults" from a church we have been visiting. Once again, we didn't really know people, but everyone was very welcoming. The pastor's wife introduced me to several people and I was caught up in pleasant conversation all night. Everyone was very nice but it did seem like 90% of the women I met (with kids) stayed at home. It is shockingly difficult to meet other mothers who work outside the home, especially at church, and it is always a little bit of a bummer to be invited to a weekday midmorning event knowing you can never go.
- Gender Reveal Party for "Chuck": My sister is having another baby, whose inutero name is inexplicably "Chuck". She and her husband decided to reveal the gender of the baby via cake cutting at a gender reveal party. There were decorations in turquoise (for girl) and orange (for boy), and most of the snacks color coordinated. The room was silent as they cut the cake and.... ORANGE. Baby is due in early May. {Update: baby has been born!}
More updates to come on what has been happening in March, April, and May in the Dierschke family... we've been busy folk!
No comments:
Post a Comment